Friday, April 18, 2008

Home Study

Well, it has been a very stressful week, to say the least.

While still dealing with my hubby's health situation, I've worked very hard all week in preparation for our scheduled home study this morning at 10 AM. I've cleaned carpets, moved furniture out to clean behind it...you name it, I've done it this week. We've never done a home study and had no expectations...would they look in every nook and cranny? Just ask us questions?

Anyway, I was anxious last night and only slept from
4 AM until 8 AM. When I don't get enough rest, I am so not good! lol

We got up, vacuumed the whole house once again and I baked a yummy breakfast type cake. We made coffee, tea, etc. Ready to go!

The lady, Randy, who is doing the study is the same lady that hasn't returned any of my phone calls. I'm still "waiting" to hear back from her on a question I asked her about on April 3.

So, we were anxious about her coming because we haven't been having any luck with her via the phone.

10:00 came. 10:00 went.

About 10:10, I ended up getting terrible stomach cramps and spending time in the bathroom twice. 10:20 comes and goes. Fred said I couldn't call the office until 10:30.

The social worker never came. She never called.

At 10:30, I called and talked to Terry, the very nice lady that is helping us set up things with Randy. Terry had to be pulled out of a staff meeting to talk to me. When I told her what was happening, she checked her email while I was on the phone. She saw that Randy had emailed her at 9:30 AM (30 mintues before our meeting) and said she didn't know how much to charge for the home study and she'd feel more comfortable if we rescheduled!

Well, I started crying and couldn't stop. I asked why Randy didn't bother to call. That'd I'd only slept 4 hours last night due to anxiety and that meant I'd have to do it all over again next week if they weren't coming today. I told her I'd made food for Randy. I just couldn't quit crying. Terry kept apologizing.
I guess it'd be different if this was an isolated thing, but due to the fact that we haven't gotten any results with Randy on anything...
Terry rescheduled Randy for Monday.

We decided we needed to get out for the day. We were on our way to Indy, made it half way, ate and came back home. We were just exhausted physically, emotionally, mentally, etc.

We took a nap. Later I had a voice mail from Terry saying that Randy said she still won't know the cost of the home study by Monday, so they need to reschedule it for Thursday. Well, guess what? Fred gets to go back to work Thursday. So, I have no idea what we are going to do. We are pretty discouraged. We know it will work out somehow, but in this moment, we're discouraged.

There is no one else in Muncie to do a home study that we know of, except the county. There's no one period in New Castle. We can have someone in Anderson do it, but it costs about 4 X what it will cost us in Muncie.

I called Terry and left her a voice mail and asked why they had to know how much it's going to cost before they'll get started. I said they know where we live, they know we have to have the home study to get the baby, so surely that means we're good for the money! Fred says it probably has to be in the contract we'd sign up front.
I guess this place we're using doesn't normally do private adoptions for couples. I can't remember if they do something with the state or just what it is but that is why they aren't sure how much to charge us. They said they didn't want to overcharge us. Fred says who cares! Just get started! I mean, surely they could refund an overpayment?

We were to meet our friend Amy today with the paperwork the birth father needs to sign, which was to happen tomorrow morning. She said not to come, that she was in the middle of something. Then, later she called and said we could meet her at the park but she didn't think she'd go to the birth fathers until Sunday. Well, that really won't work as the papers have to be signed at the Notary's and I can't imagine a Notary working on Sunday, unless it's a friend of Amy's.

Today feels like a setback. But, at least my house is clean! lol

0 comments: